Sunday, December 19, 2010

Nasi Pecel Bu Tinuk - Kuta Bali, Indonesia


I am an Indonesian, so i think its good for me to start with my own food! My favorite Indonesia food is called "Pecel" its like a salad with peanut sauce dressing. However not like western Salad, Pecel has a richer, deeper flavor thanks to the spices that are mixed together in the sauce itself plus palm sugar and tamarind that makes the flavor of Pecel perfect.

Having lived in Thailand for 4 years and Singapore for 3 years, pecel has become a dream that hard to be realized.
Its all fulfilled when we had an opportunity to go down to Bali for a retreat. The second day we were there, we met this taxi drive who is also a vegetarian. He brought us to a pecel shop somewhere around Kuta for a taste of Pecel once again.

Actually Pecel is not native to Balinese cuisine, but rather to the neighboring province of East Java. But as long as i can taste Pecel geographical authenticity becomes second to the flavor.

The place called Nasi Pecel Bu Tinuk (Mrs.Tinuk Pecel Rice). Dont ask me where it is exactly since i am not really keen with Kuta area and second, we are conveniently dropped there to eat =


I like the unique way for ordering your food. Basically you just need to tell the waitress what things you want to add to your pecel and they will add it for you. There are plenty of option from different kind of meat dish to noodle even satay. Now for me, i just pick fried tempe, tofu and extra spicy peanut sauce.


As the first bite of the pecel mixed with rice went into my mouth, that good old feeling just come back again. The smoky, nutty flavor of peanuts just mixed completely awesome with the boiled vegetables that serve as the main ingredients for the Pecel. Then the chilli heat just make the whole food even tastier. However, the best part for me is the existence of lemon basil or kemangi (occimum xcitriodorum) at the Pecel. The taste of that leaf put that zing feeling into your taste bud. Its all then wrapped up with a crunchy peyek, a traditional rice flour cracker with peanuts on it.

Without hesitation i ordered my second serving, and pack another one for my dinner later on.


If you have an opportunity to go down to Kuta and curious enough to taste this awesome pecel, just ask your hotel receptionist or taxi driver Pecel Bu Tinuk. I heard from the taxi driver that brought us, this shop is quite famous as a eating place. It has been featured on local tv and newspaper. Well for me i do understand why, since their food are indeed exceptional.


No comments:

Post a Comment